COLLABORATION TOOLS GUIDANCE (CORRECTED COPY):
R 081703Z JUN 21 MID600050664808U
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
PASS TO OFFICE CODES:
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N2N6//
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N2N6//
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N2N6/JUN//
SUBJ/COLLABORATION TOOLS GUIDANCE (CORRECTED COPY)//
REF/A/MSG/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N2N6/281926ZAPR20//
REF/B/MSG/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N2N6/061338ZAPR21//
NARR/ REF A IS NAVADMIN 123/20, EFFECTIVE USE OF REMOTE WORK OPTIONS UPDATE.
REF B IS NAVADMIN 074/21 COMMERCIAL VIRTUAL REMOTE (CVR) TEAMS SUNSET (CORRECTED COPY).
REF C IS DOD CIO MEMORANDUM DOD USE OF CONTRACTOR-OWNED COLLABORATION TOOLS. REF D IS UNITED STATES NAVY RISK MANAGEMENT PROCESS GUIDE.
REF E IS FCC EXORD 20-021, EFFECTIVE USE OF REMOTE WORK OPTIONS.// POC1/W. MICHAEL JOHNSON/CIV/OPNAV N2N6D3/
TEL: 571-256-8273/DSN: 312-260-8273//
POC2/VIKRAM SINGH/CTR/OPNAV N2N6D3email@example.com/
TEL: 571-256-8405/DSN: 312-260-8405//
RMKS/1. This NAVADMIN cancels reference (a) and provides guidance on the Navys use of collaboration tools.
2. Navy Approved Collaboration Capabilities.
a. Microsoft Teams is the Department of Defense (DoD) collaboration standard and will be provided in FLANK SPEED, the Navys approved M365 cloud (reference (b)). Additional FLANK SPEED information available at https://portal.secnav.navy.mil/orgs/OPNAV/N2N6/DDCION/FlankSpeed
(1) The FLANK SPEED Authority to Operate (ATO) permits processing and storage of controlled unclassified information (CUI) data types, as listed in DoDI 5200.48, up to moderate impact Personally Identifiable Information (PII). All policies for handling permitted CUI data types still apply.
(2) The following data type exceptions are not authorized on FLANK SPEED:
(a) Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) information, to include Protected Health Information (PHI)
(b) Navy Nuclear Propulsion Information (NNPI)
(c) Law Enforcement Sensitive (LES) data
(3) Authorization for data types in paragraph 2.a.2 are planned as part of future capability releases. Users will be notified when these data types are authorized.
b. If Microsoft Teams does not provide sufficient data protection or functionality, Navy users will use approved DoD Enterprise Collaboration Capabilities.
(1) Approved DoD Enterprise Collaboration Capabilities are listed at:
(2) Commercial collaboration capabilities with a DoD Provisional Authorization must be approved by OPNAV N2N6 prior to procurement and use. Submit requests in accordance with paragraph 4.
c. If the collaboration capabilities listed in paragraphs 2.a. and 2.b do not provide sufficient data protection or functionality, commands may request OPNAV N2N6 approval to use other commercial collaboration capabilities. Submit requests in accordance with paragraph 4.
d. The Naval Postgraduate School, Naval War College, and United States Naval Academy may continue to use authorized commercial collaboration tools on Navy Higher Education Networks.
e. Commercial collaboration capabilities software or applications will not be installed on any government furnished equipment (GFE) without authorization.
f. Commands using a commercial collaboration tool without a Risk Management Framework (RMF) ATO will stop using the tool immediately.
3. When using approved collaboration tools accessed via web browser (GFE and personal devices):
a. The user shall not discuss information that is not publicly releasable (e.g., CUI) unless the collaboration tool has been authorized to store, process, and transmit the level of information being presented or discussed.
(1) The collaboration tool does not require software to be downloaded and installed.
(2) The collaboration tool is not blocked by DoD/Navy security policy.
b. Per reference (c), Navy personnel may participate in contractor-hosted collaboration sessions involving CUI if the Contractor has complied with
252.204-7012 (Safeguarding Covered Defense Information and Cyber Incident Reporting). By hosting the session, contractors are asserting that the collaboration tool meets the security requirements for handling the appropriate level of CUI.
4. Requests for approval of an alternate collaboration capability will:
a. Be submitted by the first flag officer or SES in the chain of command and endorsed by the cognizant Echelon II Command Information Officer.
b. Describe the intended use of the collaboration capability including the type of data that will be stored, processed, or transmitted and the types of participants (e.g. government, industry, foreign partner).
c. Detail why Microsoft Teams and approved DoD collaboration capabilities do not meet data protection or functional requirements.
d. Identify the proposed alternative collaboration capability including the data protection level it has been authorized for and whether it has an existing DoD PATO or RMF ATO.
e. Provide a plan to meet DoD cybersecurity requirements and achieve an RMF ATO (reference (d)). Additional information at:
f. Be provided to the POCs listed above.
5. DoD and Navy block most streaming media websites to maximize bandwidth for operational use. Any requests to exclude website from the block list will be submitted by the Echelon II Command Information Officer and submitted using the online web form in accordance with reference (e) at:
6. Request widest dissemination. This NAVADMIN will remain in effect until cancelled or superseded.
7. Released by VADM Jeffrey E. Trussler, Deputy Chief of Naval Operations for Information Warfare, OPNAV N2N6.//