FY-25 PROMOTION SELECTION BOARD DEFERMENT FOR UNRESTRICTED LINE OFFICERS:
R 021522Z JUN 23 MID120000169422U
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
PASS TO OFFICE CODES:
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/JUN//
SUBJ/FY-25 PROMOTION SELECTION BOARD DEFERMENT FOR UNRESTRICTED LINE
NARR/REF A IS SECTION 619 OF TITLE 10 U.S. CODE, ELIGIBILITY FOR
CONSIDERATION FOR PROMOTION: TIME-IN-GRADE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS.
REF B IS SECTION 14301 OF TITLE 10 U.S. CODE, ELIGIBILITY FOR CONSIDERATION
FOR PROMOTION: GENERAL RULES.
REF C IS DOD INSTRUCTION 1320.14, COMMISSIONED OFFICER PROMOTION PROGRAM
REF D IS SECNAV MEMORANDUM, DELEGATION OF OPT OUT OF CONSIDERATION FOR
REF E IS SECTION 611 OF TITLE 10 U.S. CODE, CONVENING OF SELECTION BOARDS.
REF F IS SECTION 14101 OF TITLE 10 U.S. CODE, CONVENING OF SELECTION
RMKS/1. This NAVADMIN provides guidance for unrestricted line (URL) officers
of the Active Component (AC) and Training and Administration of the Reserve
(TAR) to request to defer consideration for a Fiscal Year (FY) 2025 promotion
selection board (PSB).
2. References (a) through (c) authorize the Secretary of the Navy (SECNAV)
to approve the request of an officer to defer promotion consideration by a
PSB convened under references (e) and (f).
Reference (d) delegates approval authority to the Chief of Naval Personnel
(CNP). Requests may be approved if all of the following conditions are met:
a. The basis for the request is to allow an officer to complete
a broadening assignment, advanced education, or another assignment of
significant value to the Department of the Navy (DON) or a career progression
requirement is delayed by the assignment or education.
b. The exclusion from consideration is in the best interest of the DON.
c. The officer has not previously failed of selection for promotion to
the grade for which the officer requests deferral.
3. Eligible officers. All AC and TAR URL officers who are in-zone or
above-zone not previously considered for promotion to lieutenant commander,
commander, or captain in FY-25 and meet the requirements in paragraph 2 above
may submit a request.
a. Examples of broadening assignments include, but are not limited to:
(1) White House Fellowship.
(2) Secretary of Defense Corporate Fellowship.
(3) Federal Executive Fellowships (e.g., politico-military and
(4) SECNAV tours with industry.
(5) Legislative Fellowship.
b. Examples of advanced education include, but are not limited to:
(1) Competitive education programs (e.g., Olmsted, Marshall, Rhodes,
(2) In-residence Naval Postgraduate School or Naval War College.
(3) Equivalent service institutions or in-residence civilian
c. Examples of another assignment of significant value include, but are
not limited to:
(1) Defense or naval attach.
(2) The personnel exchange program.
a. Requests shall include:
(1) A description of the broadening assignment, advanced education,
assignment of significant value, and career progression requirements delayed
by the assignment or education.
(2) Justification for requesting PSB consideration opt-out.
(3) A recommendation from the commanding officer or equivalent.
b. E-mail requests to Bureau of Naval Personnel, Active Community
Managers (BUPERS-31) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
c. All requests must be received via e-mail no later than 21 July 2023.
d. Officers that require deferral for more than one FY must annually
submit a new request to defer consideration.
5. Staffing and review. Officer requests shall be reviewed by a panel of
(at a minimum), an Officer Community Management Branch (BUPERS-3) URL
community manager, a Navy Personnel Command, Career Management Branch (PERS-
4) officer detailer, and one additional officer, all senior to the officer
requesting to defer PSB consideration. For nuclear trained officers, the
Officer and Enlisted Nuclear Programs Policy Branch (OPNAV N133), shall be
included on the panel. For Naval Special Warfare Officers, the Naval Special
Warfare Programs Policy Branch (OPNAV N137) shall be included on the
panel. The panel will forward its recommendation to CNP via the community
sponsor of the officer.
6. URL Community Sponsor Review. The URL community flag officer sponsor for
requesting officers shall provide a recommendation concerning all PSB
deferral requests. The community sponsor should consider the documented
performance history of the officer and ability to provide future benefit to
the Navy. For disapproval recommendations, the community sponsor shall state
the reasons for the disapproval recommendation.
7. Officers will be notified in writing via e-mail of approval or
disapproval of their request no later than 45 calendar days before the
proposed convening date of the first FY-25 PSB.
8. Officers that are approved for PSB deferment, but are subsequently
determined to be below-zone, will be considered below-zone by the FY-25
PSB. Officers selected for promotion in subsequent years after deferring FY-
25 PSB consideration will be placed into a new promotion year group based on
their resulting date of rank. Those officers will be considered by future
administrative and statutory PSBs with the new promotion year group. The
records of officers with approved deferrals of promotion consideration will
not be identified or made known to any PSB.
9. For additional details and application procedures and templates,
visit the MyNavy HR website at: https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Career-
Management/Boards/Active-Duty-Officer/ and then select Promotion Selection
Board Deferment (Opt-Out) Guidance. The point of contact for this matter is
Mrs. Kimberly Riddle who can be reached at (901) 874-2369/DSN 882 or via
e-mail at email@example.com.
10. This NAVADMIN will remain in effect until superseded or until 1 January
2024, whichever occurs first.
11. Released by Vice Admiral Richard J. Cheeseman, Jr., N1.//