2016 VICE ADMIRAL JAMES BOND STOCKDALE LEADERSHIP AWARD WINNERS:
R 301556Z AUG 16
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
PASS TO OFFICE CODES:
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/AUG//
SUBJ/2016 VICE ADMIRAL JAMES BOND STOCKDALE LEADERSHIP AWARD WINNERS//
RMKS/1. This NAVADMIN announces the 2016 recipients of the Vice Admiral
James Bond Stockdale Leadership Award. CDR Gary G. Montalvo, Commanding
Officer of USS NORTH CAROLINA (SSN 777) (Pacific Fleet) and CDR Ken J.
Kleinschnittger, former Commanding Officer of Explosive Ordnance Disposal
Mobile Unit TWELVE (EODMU-12) (Fleet Forces Command) were selected for their
2. This fleet award was established in honor of VADM James Bond Stockdale,
whose distinguished naval career symbolized the highest standards of
excellence in both personal example and leadership. The award is presented
annually to two commissioned officers on active duty in the grade of
commander or below who are serving in command of a single ship, submarine,
aviation squadron, Sea, Air, Land (SEAL) team, naval special warfare
squadron, SEAL delivery vehicle team, special boat team, explosive ordnance
disposal mobile unit, mobile diving and salvage unit, or Navy special
clearance team during the nomination cycle. Candidates are nominated by
peers who themselves must be eligible for the award.
3. The 2016 winners were chosen from among eight outstanding finalists in a
review process that included screening at the fleet commander level and final
selection by a board of senior officers.
4. The following finalists deserve well-earned congratulations:
a. Pacific Fleet finalists:
- CDR Ryan J. Blazevich, Commanding Officer, USS PICKNEY (DDG 91)
- CDR Gary A. Harrington II, former Commanding Officer, USS
GERMANTOWN (LSD 42)
- CDR Ralph L. McQueen III, Commanding Officer, Helicopter Sea
Combat Squadron TWELVE (HSC-12)
b. Fleet Forces Command finalists:
- CDR Kevin J. Hoffman, Commanding Officer, USS JASON DUNHAM (DDG 109)
- CDR Kenneth M. Curtin, Commanding Officer, USS WYOMING (SSBN 742)
- CDR Douglas M. Langenberg, Commanding Officer, Strike Fighter
Squadron TWO ONE THREE (VFA-213)
5. CDR Ken J. Kleinschnittger and CDR Gary G. Montalvo, as well as all
nominees, should be justifiably proud of their achievements.
6. Awards will be presented at a ceremony to be determined at a later date.
7. This NAVADMIN will be kept for record purposes, and will remain in effect
until canceled or superseded.
8. Released by Vice Admiral R. P. Burke, N1.//