SURFACE NAVY ASSOCIATION OLD TAR AWARD:
R 101447Z AUG 18
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N8/AUG//
SUBJ/SURFACE NAVY ASSOCIATION OLD TAR AWARD//
RMKS/1. This NAVADMIN solicits nominations for the Surface Navy
Association's (SNA) "Old Tar" Award.
2. The "Old Tar" award was established by the SNA in 1996 to recognize the
active duty enlisted surface warfare specialist (ESWS) with the earliest date
of qualification. The award is a replica of "The Chief" statue which stands
at the Navy Memorial in Washington, DC. The statuette is placed on original
planking from USS Constitution and remains on permanent display at the Senior
Enlisted Academy. A plaque contains a description of the award along with
names of previous and the current "Old Tar." A replica statuette is awarded
to the "Old Tar" for display purposes at his/her command. The replica is
provided for his/her retention for life with a "very well done."
3. The current "Old Tar is GMCS(SW/EXW) Robert Hyatt.
4. The criteria for the "Old Tar" award is: active duty ESWS with the
earliest date of qualification as received by SNA before the announced
closing date. Nominees must submit appropriate certified true copies of page
4 or ESWS certificate. Nominations received after the closing date that are
of an earlier date of qualification of the selected award winner will receive
a letter of recognition only. In the event of more than one nominee having
the same ESWS qualification date, the recipient will be determined first by
the most time at sea, and secondly, by the pay entry base date. If a
candidate is qualified in more than one specialty area, their primary
designation must be surface warfare.
5. The change in custody of the "Old Tar" statuette is recognized at SNA's
annual symposium held in January in Washington, DC. The recognition serves
to renew knowledge of the importance of the award, and as a reaffirmation of
faith by SNA nationally that becoming an ESWS is, was, and will remain
6. All nominations will be submitted to SNA at firstname.lastname@example.org or
6551 Loisdale Court, Suite 222, Springfield, VA 22150 no later than
24 August 2018.
7. Point of contact is LCDR Kelly Craft, OPNAV N81, (703) 693-2509, or via
email at email@example.com.
8. Released by VADM W. K. Lescher, DCNO, N8.//