2015 VICE ADMIRAL JAMES BOND STOCKDALE LEADERSHIP AWARD WINNERS:
R 191815Z AUG 15 PSN 638571K30
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/AUG//
SUBJ/2015 VICE ADMIRAL JAMES BOND STOCKDALE LEADERSHIP AWARD WINNERS//
RMKS/1. This NAVADMIN announces the 2015 recipients of the Vice Admiral
James Bond Stockdale award. Commander Matthew J. Duffy, Commanding Officer
of VAW-112 (Pacific Fleet) and CDR Anthony S. Grayson, Commanding Officer of
USS Providence (SSN 719) (Fleet Forces Command) were selected for their
2. This fleet award was established in honor of VADM James Bond Stockdale,
whose distinguished naval career symbolized the highest standards of
excellence in both personal example and leadership. The award is presented
annually to two commissioned officers on active duty in the grade of
commander or below who are serving in command of a single ship, submarine,
aviation squadron, Sea, Air, Land (SEAL) team, naval special warfare
squadron, SEAL delivery vehicle team, special boat team, explosive ordnance
disposal mobile unit, mobile diving and salvage unit, or Navy special
clearance team during the nomination cycle. Candidates are nominated by
peers who themselves must be eligible for the award.
3. The 2015 winners were chosen from among eight outstanding finalists in a
review process that included screening at the Fleet Commander level and final
selection by a board of senior officers.
4. The following finalists deserve well-earned congratulations:
a. Pacific Fleet finalists:
- CDR Kelly T. Fletcher, Commanding Officer,
USS Harpers Ferry (LSD 49)
- CDR John P. Friedman, former Commanding Officer,
USS Columbia (SSN 771)
- CDR Katrina L. Hill, former Commanding Officer, VP-9
- CDR Oscar E. Rojas, former Commanding Officer, EODMU FIVE
b. Fleet Forces Command finalists:
- CDR Michael A. Rovenolt, former Commanding Officer, VFA-31
- CDR Mikal J. Phillips, Commanding Officer,
USS Mason (DDG 87)
5. CDR Matthew J. Duffy and CDR Anthony S. Grayson, as well as all nominees,
should be justifiably proud of their achievements.
6. Awards will be presented at a ceremony to be determined at a later date.
7. This NAVADMIN will be canceled for record purposes on 30 November 2015.
8. Released by Vice Admiral W. F. Moran, N1.//