CNO MESSAGE TO THE FLEET - 20 YEAR PASSAGE OF 9/11:
R 092049Z SEP 21 MID200001114321U
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
MSGID/NAVADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/CNO//
SUBJ/CNO MESSAGE TO THE FLEET - 20 YEAR PASSAGE OF 9/11//
RMKS/1. Shipmates, today we mark the passage of 20 years since 9/11 - a day
where terrorism darkened the doorstep of America and changed our lives
forever. In the blink of an eye, planes crashed into New York City's Twin
Towers, the Pentagon, and Somerset County Pennsylvania, killing nearly 3,000
innocent Americans. The attacks also inflicted a devastating emotional toll,
which many still feel today.
2. As we reflect on that day, we honor the service and sacrifice you and
your families have made since 9/11, we salute the heroism of our first
responders, and we remember the lives lost in Afghanistan and Iraq over the
past two decades.
3. For me, people are the legacy of 9/11. People have devoted their lives
to a cause greater than themselves. People have acted with conviction,
courage, and a love of country. And people have dedicated their lives to
ensuring an attack like that never happens again. You see, as long as brave
men and women are willing to fight for freedom and justice, democracy will
4. In dark times, we all need examples of courage and character to light the
way forward. Today and throughout our nations history, the valor of service
members and first responders illuminate what we are capable of when we act on
our highest principles.
5. While it may not always be easy to see, your decision to place service
before self - and the decision of hundreds of thousands of men and women like
you - will strengthen America for generations to come. This is how we honor
the tragic events of 9/11.
6. Shipmates, let us pay solemn tribute to this day. And let us continue to
7. Never more proud to be your CNO.
8. Released by Admiral Mike Gilday, Chief of Naval Operations.//