2021 VICE ADMIRAL JAMES BOND STOCKDALE LEADERSHIP AWARD WINNERS:
R 071648Z OCT 21 MID200001210591U
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
PASS TO OFFICE CODES:
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/OCT//
SUBJ/2021 VICE ADMIRAL JAMES BOND STOCKDALE LEADERSHIP AWARD WINNERS//
RMKS/1. This NAVADMIN announces the 2021 recipients of the Vice Admiral
James Bond Stockdale Leadership Award. Commander Ronald H. Rumfelt,
Commanding Officer of Patrol Squadron FIVE (VP-5) (U.S. Fleet Forces) and
Commander Steven C. Lawrence, Commanding Officer of USS OKLAHOMA CITY (SSN
723) (Pacific Fleet) were selected for their inspirational leadership.
2. This fleet award was established in honor of VADM James Bond Stockdale,
whose distinguished naval career symbolized the highest standards of
excellence in both personal example and leadership. The award is presented
annually to two commissioned officers on active duty in the grade of
commander or below who are serving in command of a single ship, submarine,
aviation squadron, Sea, Air, Land (SEAL) team, naval special warfare
squadron, SEAL delivery vehicle team, special boat team, explosive ordnance
disposal mobile unit, mobile diving and salvage unit or Navy special
clearance team during the nomination cycle. Candidates are nominated by
peers who themselves must be eligible for the award.
3. The 2021 winners were chosen from among nine outstanding finalists in a
review process that included screening at the fleet commander level and final
selection by a board of senior officers.
4. The following finalists deserve well-earned congratulations:
a. Pacific Fleet finalists:
(1) CDR Michael S. McGuire, Commanding Officer, USS KEY WEST
(2) CDR Robert C. Watts, Commanding Officer, USS JOHN PAUL JONES
(3) CDR Matthew D. Gleason, Commanding Officer, USS COMSTOCK
(4) CDR Ryan T. Mattson, Commanding Officer, Electronic Attack
Squadron 131 (VAQ-131)
b. U.S. Fleet Forces finalists:
(1) CDR David W. Fassel, Commanding Officer, USS NEWPORT NEWS
(2) CDR Christopher M. Norris, Commanding Officer, USS JAMES E.
WILLIAMS (DDG 95)
(3) CDR Richard B. Litchfield, Commanding Officer, USS THOMAS HUDNER
(4) CDR Clinton A. Cornell, Commanding Officer, Explosive Ordnance
Disposal Mobile Unit 2 (EODMU 2)
5. CDR Ronald Rumfelt and CDR Steven Lawrence, as well as all finalists,
should be justifiably proud of their achievements.
6. Awards will be presented at a ceremony to be determined at a later date.
7. This NAVADMIN will be kept for record purposes and will remain in effect
until canceled or superseded.
8. Released by Vice Admiral John B. Nowell, Jr, N1.//