SHIPS SERVICEMAN RATING NAME CHANGE TO RETAIL SERVICES SPECIALIST:
R 301843Z SEP 19 MID510000645508U
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
PASS TO OFFICE CODES:
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/AUG//
SUBJ/SHIPS SERVICEMAN RATING NAME CHANGE TO RETAIL SERVICES SPECIALIST//
RMKS/1. This NAVADMIN announces the Ships Serviceman (SH) rating name change
to the Retail Services Specialist (RS) rating. The rating change will
directly translate the skills and expertise of the work performed by the
Sailors in the rating to work performed in the civilian sector.
Additionally, this change will increase professional alignment with civilian
employees, better representing the functions performed by Sailors within the
2. In support of the Sailor 2025 efforts, Rating Modernization continues to
redefine career fields, offer more career choices and expand professional
development opportunities. The rating progression from four specialty
ratings of Barber, Laundryman, Cobbler and Tailor to SH and now RS is a
natural one. This name change is in keeping with the tradition in the Navy
of defining the occupation of a Sailor in contemporary terms that better
define the tasks to be performed and the skills needed to perform them.
3. The source rating SH will be revised to RS on the following affected Navy
Enlisted Classification (NEC) codes: L39A, L40A, S00A, S010, S12A and 756A.
4. Those Sailors currently in the SH rating will automatically convert to
the RS rating on 1 October 2019. This change is administrative and will not
affect the current billet structure, personnel inventory or career paths.
Requests for conversion from Sailors or commands are not required.
5. The rating badge of crossed key and quill is retained for the RS rating.
6. RS candidates may be taking SH exams, but the advancement authorized
rating will be RS. The first Navy-Wide Advancement Examinations for the RS
rating will be administered as follows:
a. E4/5/6 Active Duty cycle - September 2020
b. E4/5/6 SELRES cycle - February 2021
c. E7 Active Duty cycle - January 2021
d. E7 SELRES cycle - February 2021
7. The point of contact for this matter is CDR Nicholas Ulmer, Supply
Enlisted Community Manager, at (901) 874-2823/DSN 882 or via e-mail at
8. Released by Vice Admiral John B. Nowell, Jr, N1.//