CY 2021 RUSSELL EGNOR NAVY MEDIA AWARDS AND THOMPSON-RAVITZ AWARDS FOR EXCELLENCE IN NAVY PUBLIC AFFAIRS PROGRAMS:
R 192032Z OCT 21 MID600051059092U
FM CHINFO WASHINGTON DC
MSGID/NAVADMIN/CHINFO WASHINGTON DC/OCT//
SUBJ: CY 2021 RUSSELL EGNOR NAVY MEDIA AWARDS AND THOMPSON-RAVITZ
AWARDS FOR EXCELLENCE IN NAVY PUBLIC AFFAIRS PROGRAMS//
REF/B/DOC/RUSSELL EGNOR NAVY MEDIA AWARDS PROGRAM STANDARD OPERATING
PROCEDURES CY 2021//
REF/C/DOC/CY 2021 THOMPSON-RAVITZ STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURES//
NARR/REF A IS THE RUSSELL EGNOR NAVY MEDIA AWARDS (NMA) INSTRUCTION.
REF B IS THE RUSSELL EGNOR NAVY MEDIA AWARDS STANDARD OPERATING
PROCEDURES FOR CY 2021.
REF C IS THE 2021 THOMPSON-RAVITZ SUBMISSION GUIDELINES//
POC/RUSSELL EGNOR NAVY MEDIA AWARDS: MCCS STACEE MCCARROLL/NMA
POC/THOMPSON-RAVITZ AWARDS: CHRISTOPHER DUNNE/CHRISTOPHER.T.DUNNE3.CIV(AT)US.
RMKS/1. The Russell Egnor Navy Media Awards (NMAs) recognize media content
Production excellence; the Thompson-Ravitz Awards (T-Rs) recognize public
affairs excellence. Both programs recognize leadership.
2. Both the NMAs and the T-Rs were revised for CY 2021. Access to the CHINFO
Portal is necessary for many categories. To request CHINFO portal access,
contact CHINFO OI-822 (Suzette Kettenhofen) not less than two weeks prior to
submission, and send a digitally signed email to
Follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for both programs.
Review each SOP before starting the submission process to ensure compliance
with program guidelines.
3. NMA Entry Guidance: Guidance for 2021 NMAs is available on the
CHINFO Portal under the Resources Section (click on PA & VI Awards).
Entries will be accepted from 0001 on 1 January 2022 to 2359 on 31
4. NMA Categories: There are 48 NMA categories, split among Unit,
Individual and Excellence:
a. Unit awards (8):
(1) Print or Digital Publication
(2) Online Publication
(3) Web Based Informational Campaign
(4) Audio Short-Form Production
(5) Audio Long-Form Production
(6) Video Short-Form Production
(7) Video Long-Form Production
(8) DICE Product Submission Paper
b. Individual awards (28):
(1) Audio (4 categories)
(2) Graphic Design (4 categories)
(3) Photo (7 categories)
(4) Video (8 categories)
(5) Writing (5 categories)
c. Excellence awards (13), which recognize the best among Navy media
professionals across the fleet:
(1) "Of the Year" awards for Photographer, Videographer, Writer,
and Graphic Designer, with subcategories for military and civilian.
(2) Awards for E-1 through E-5 (Junior MC of the Year) and
E-6 (MC of the Year)
(3) Navy Communicator of the Year (military or civilian)
for full-spectrum media producers
(4) Navy Media Excellence Award: This award recognizes the efforts
of a single command/unit for overall excellence in information
5. T-R Entry Guidance. Guidance for CY 2021 T-R Awards entries is
available on the CHINFO Portal under the Resources Section
(click on PA & VI Awards). Access to the CHINFO Portal is
restricted to Navy PA/VI professionals only. Program eligibility is
not restricted to PA/VI professionals; non PA/VI professionals
should contact the program administrator for submission assistance.
Entries will be accepted from 0001 on 1 January 2022 to 2359 on
31 January 2022.
6. T-R Categories. There are 29 T-R categories, recognizing Units
or Individuals. Unit awards recognize six types of PA programs, each of
which has an award recognizing four command types.
a. PA programs:
(1) Community Outreach
(2) Special Events and Projects
(3) Public Information
(4) Crisis and Emergent Issue Communication
(5) Internal Communication
(6) COVID Communication
b. Command types:
(1) Afloat Large (four or more PA personnel on the PA staff)
(2) Afloat Small (three or fewer PA personnel on the PA staff)
(3) Shore Large (four or more PA personnel on the PA staff)
(4) Shore Small (three or fewer PA personnel on the PA staff)
c. New unit category: Communication Innovation. This is a peer-nominated
award, and applies to any unit regardless of staff size. See T-R SOP for
more information on nomination criteria.
7. Individual T-R Awards. There are four individual award categories:
(1) Junior Public Affairs Officer of the Year
(2) Junior Reserve Public Affairs Officer of the Year
(3) Junior Civilian Public Affairs Specialist of the Year (For
1035-series or equivalent in grades through GS-11 or equivalent)
(4) Unit Public Affairs Representative of the Year
8. Additional Eligibility. Commands without designated public affairs
personnel are welcome to submit entries for appropriate award
categories. Commands should contact POCs program administrators for
9. Released by RDML C. W. Brown, Chief of Information.//