NATIONAL DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AWARENESS MONTH:
RTTUZYUW RUEWMCS0000 2682147-UUUU--RUCRNAD
R 252147Z SEP 13
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/SEP//
SUBJ/NATIONAL DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AWARENESS MONTH//
AMPN/REF A IS OPNAVINST 1752.2B, FAMILY ADVOCACY PROGRAM.//
RMKS /1. This NAVADMIN announces the observance of National Domestic Violence Awareness Month
(NDVAM) for the month of October. In 1989, Congress designated October of that year as NDVAM. The
observance provides an opportunity to raise domestic violence awareness, inform service members and
their families about domestic violence prevention efforts, and reporting options for victims. This year's
theme is "Silence Hides Violence."
2. Domestic violence happens in all types of families and relationships. Persons of any class, culture,
religion, sexual orientation, marital status, age, and gender can be victims or perpetrators of domestic
violence. Ref (a) requires Navy personnel to report any suspicion of domestic violence to family
Fleet and Family Support Centers (FFSC) along with other community agencies provide services designed
to promote healthy relationships by reducing family maltreatment.
3. Navy is absolutely committed to strengthening families and preventing abusive behavior. We must
continually strive to create an organizational culture that encourages speaking out and taking action to
prevent domestic violence incidents. We cannot remain silent; prevention and intervention programs
are available for anyone who needs help.
4. Commands are strongly encouraged to integrate short, key leadership messages into their monthly
training plans and participate in local NDVAM events sponsored by FFSC. To facilitate delivery of
NDVAM messaging and obtain event materials, including discussion scripts, leadership videos, event
planning materials, and plan of the day/plan of the week notes, contact your local FFSC family advocacy
manager. Material will also be available at
5. Point of contact is Ms. Lolita Allen, Family Advocacy Program/ Victim Advocacy Program at (202)433-
4683 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. Released by Vice Admiral W. F. Moran, N1.//