CY 2019 RUSSELL EGNOR NAVY MEDIA AWARDS AND THOMPSON-RAVITZ AWARDS FOR EXCELLENCE IN NAVY PUBLIC AFFAIRS PROGRAMS:
R 181429Z NOV 19 MID110000201752U
FM CHINFO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CHINFO WASHINGTON DC
MSGID/NAVADMIN/CHINFO WASHINGTON DC/NOV//
SUBJ: CY 2019 RUSSELL EGNOR NAVY MEDIA AWARDS AND THOMPSON-RAVITZ
AWARDS FOR EXCELLENCE IN NAVY PUBLIC AFFAIRS PROGRAMS//
REF/B/DOC/RUSSELL EGNOR NAVY MEDIA AWARDS PROGRAM STANDARD OPERATING
PROCEDURES CY 2019//
REF/D/DOC/CY 2019 THOMPSON-RAVITZ STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURES//
NARR/REF A IS THE RUSSELL EGNOR NAVY MEDIA AWARDS (NMA) INSTRUCTION.
REF B IS THE RUSSELL EGNOR NAVY MEDIA AWARDS STANDARD OPERATING
PROCEDURES FOR CY 2019.
REF C IS THE THOMPSON-RAVITZ AWARDS FOR EXCELLENCE IN NAVY PUBLIC AFFAIRS
REF D IS THE 2019 THOMPSON-RAVITZ SUBMISSION GUIDELINES//
POC/RUSSELL EGNOR NAVY MEDIA AWARDS: MCCS MICHAEL LANTRON/NMA
POC/THOMPSON-RAVITZ AWARDS: CHRISTOPHER DUNNE/CHRISTOPHER.DUNNE(AT)
RMKS/1. The Russell Egnor NMAs recognize media content production excellence;
the Thompson-Ravitz Awards (T-Rs) recognize public affairs excellence. Both
programs recognize leadership.
2. Both the NMAs and the T-Rs were revised for CY 2019. Access to the CHINFO
Portal is required for many categories. Review Standard Operating Procedures
for both programs before starting submission process to ensure compliance
with program guidelines. To request CHINFO portal access, contact CHINFO OI-
822 (Suzette Kettenhofen) at least two weeks prior to submission, and send
digitally signed email to email@example.com.
3. NMA Entry Guidance: Guidance for 2019 NMAs is available on the CHINFO
Portal under the Resources Section (click on PA & VI Awards). Entries will be
accepted from 0001 on 1 January 2020 to 2400 on 31 January 2020.
4. NMA Categories: There are 47 NMA categories, split among Unit, Individual
a. Unit awards (7):
(1) Print or Digital Publication
(2) Online Publication
(3) Web Based Informational Campaign
(4) Audio Short-Form Production
(5) Audio Long-Form Production
(6) Video Short-Form Production
(7) Video Long-Form Production
b. Individual awards (28):
(1) Audio (4 categories)
(2) Graphic Design (4 categories)
(3) Photo (7 categories)
(4) Video (8 categories)
(5) Writing (5 categories)
c. Excellence awards (12), which recognize the best among Navy media
professionals across the fleet:
(1) "Of the Year" awards for Photographer, Videographer, Writer,
Graphic Designer, and Storyteller, with subcategories for military
(2) Awards for E-1 through E-4 (Junior MC of the Year) and E-5 through
E-6 (MC of the Year)
(3) Navy Strategic Communicator of the Year (military or civilian) for full-
spectrum media producers
(4) Russell Egnor Leadership Excellence Award: This award recognizes a
senior Navy communicator who has made a profound impact and contributions to
the public affairs and visual information community through inspired
(5) Navy Media Excellence Award: This award recognizes the efforts of a
single command/unit for overall excellence in information product creation.
5. T-R Entry Guidance. Guidance for 2019 T-R Awards entries is available on
the CHINFO Portal under the Resources Section (click on PA & VI Awards).
Access to the CHINFO Portal is restricted to Navy PA/VI professionals only.
Program eligibility is not restricted to PA/VI professionals; non PA/VI
professionals should contact the program administrator for submission
assistance. Access to the CHINFO portal must be requested in advance of
program deadlines (see para 2 for directions). Entries will be accepted from
0001 on 1 January 2020 to 2400 on 31 January 2020.
6. T-R Categories. There are 28 T-R categories, split among Units and
Individuals. Unit awards comprise six types of PA programs, each of which
has an award recognizing four command types.
a. PA programs:
(1) Community Outreach
(2) Special Events and Projects
(3) Public Information
(4) Crisis Communication
(5) Internal Communication
(6) Digital Engagement
b. Command types:
(1) Afloat Large (four or more PA personnel on the PA staff)
(2) Afloat Small (three or fewer PA personnel on the PA staff)
(3) Shore Large (four or more PA personnel on the PA staff)
(4) Shore Small (three or fewer PA personnel on the PA staff)
7. Individual T-R Awards. There are four individual award categories:
(1) Junior Public Affairs Officer of the Year
(2) Junior Reserve Public Affairs Officer of the Year
(3) Civilian Junior Public Affairs Specialist of the Year (For
1035-series or equivalent in grades through GS-11 or equivalent)
(4). Unit Public Affairs Representative of the Year
8. Additional Eligibility. Commands without designated public affairs
personnel are welcome to submit entries for appropriate award categories.
Commands should contact POCs program administrators for more info.
9. Released by RDML C.W. Brown, Chief of Information.//