CY 2017 RUSSELL EGNOR NAVY MEDIA AWARDS AND THOMPSON-RAVITZ AWARDS FOR EXCELLENCE IN NAVY PUBLIC AFFAIRS PROGRAMS:
R 051519Z DEC 17
FM CHINFO WASHINGTON DC
MSGID/NAVADMIN/CHINFO WASHINGTON DC/CHINFO/DEC//
SUBJ/ CY 2017 RUSSELL EGNOR NAVY MEDIA AWARDS AND THOMPSON-RAVITZ
AWARDS FOR EXCELLENCE IN NAVY PUBLIC AFFAIRS PROGRAMS//
REF/B/DOC/RUSSELL EGNOR NAVY MEDIA AWARDS PROGRAM STANDARD OPERATING
PROCEDURES CY 2017//
REF/D/DOC/2017 THOMPSON-RAVITZ STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURES//
NARR/REF A IS THE RUSSELL EGNOR NAVY MEDIA AWARDS (NMA) INSTRUCTION.
REF B IS THE RUSSELL EGNOR NAVY MEDIA AWARDS STANDARD OPERATING
PROCEDURES FOR CY 2017. REF C IS THE THOMPSON-RAVITZ AWARDS FOR
EXCELLENCE IN NAVY PUBLIC AFFAIRS INSTRUCTION. REF D IS THE 2017
THOMPSON-RAVITZ SUBMISSION GUIDELINES//
POC/RUSSELL EGNOR NAVY MEDIA AWARDS: MCPO JON MCMILLAN/CHINFO SEA
/email@example.com/(703) 692-4704/THOMPSON-RAVITZ AWARDS:
MR. CHRISTOPHER DUNNEfirstname.lastname@example.org/
RMKS/1. The Russell Egnor NMAs recognize
excellence in media content production and leadership.
The Thompson-Ravitz Awards (T-Rs) promote professional
communication expertise and excellence by recognizing and rewarding
the accomplishments of Navy commands and personnel.
2. Both the NMAs and the T-Rs have been revised significantly
for CY 2017. Please review updated Standard Operating Procedures for
both programs before beginning the submission process.
3. NMA Entry Guidance. Guidance for 2017 NMAs is available on the
CHINFO Portal under the Resources Section (click on PA & VI Awards).
To request CHINFO portal access, contact Ms. Suzette
Kettenhofen prior to the submission deadline at suzette.kettenhofen
@navy.mil/703-692-4752. Entries will be accepted from 1 January 2018
to 2400 on 31 January 2018.
4. NMA Categories. There are 58 NMA categories, split among Unit,
Individual and Excellence:
a. Unit awards (11):
(1) Print Publication
(2) Digital (PDF) Publication
(3) Online Publication
(4) Media Campaign
(5) Social Media Post
(6) Audio Short-Form Production
(7) Audio Long-Form Production
(8) Video Short-Form Production
(9) Video Long-Form Production
(10) Cruisebook (Small Command)
(11) Cruisebook (Large Command)
b. Individual awards (31):
(1) Audio (4 categories)
(2) Graphic Design (7 categories)
(3) Photo (7 categories)
(4) Video (8 categories)
(5) Writing (5 categories)
c. Excellence awards (16): These recognize the best among Navy
media professionals in the fleet.
(1) "Of the Year" awards for Photographer, Videographer,
Writer, Graphic Designer, and Storyteller, with subcategories
for Navy and Navy Civilian.
(2) Awards for E-1 through E-4 Junior MC of the Year (Sea and
Shore) and E-5 through E-6 MC of the Year (Sea, Shore and Reserve).
(3) Russell Egnor Leadership Excellence Award. This award
recognizes the senior Navy communicator who has made a profound
impact and contribution to the public affairs and visual
information community through inspired leadership.
(4) Navy Media Excellence Award. This award recognizes the
efforts of a single command/unit for overall excellence in
information product creation.
5. T-R Entry Guidance. Guidance for 2017 T-R Awards entries is
available on the CHINFO Portal under the Resources Section
(click on PA & VI Awards). Access to the CHINFO portal is
restricted to Navy PA/VI professionals only. Program eligibility is
not restricted to PA/VI professionals; non PA/VI professionals
should contact the program administrator for submission assistance.
Access to the CHINFO portal must be requested in advance of program
deadlines to facilitate the approval process. Entries will be
accepted from 1 January 2018 to 2400 on 31 January 2018.
6. T-R Categories. There are 28 T-R categories, split among Units
a. Unit awards comprise six types of PA programs, each of
which has an award recognizing four command types.
(1) Community Outreach
(2) Special Events and Projects
(3) Public Information
(4) Crisis Communication
(5) Internal Communication
(6) Digital Engagement
b. Command types:
(1) Afloat Large (four or more PA personnel on the PA staff)
(2) Afloat Small (three or fewer PA personnel on the PA staff)
(3) Shore Large (four or more PA personnel on the PA staff)
(4) Shore Small (three or fewer PA personnel on the PA staff)
7. Individual T-R Awards. There are four individual award
a. Junior Public Affairs Officer of the Year
b. Junior Reserve Public Affairs Officer of the Year
c. Civilian Public Affairs Specialist of the Year (For 1035
-series or equivalent in grades up through GS-11 or equivalent)
d. Collateral Duty Public Affairs Officer of the Year
8. Additional Eligibility. Commands without designated public
affairs personnel are also welcome to submit entries to the
appropriate award and category. Commands should contact
the program administrators for more info.
9. Released by CAPT G. L. Hicks, Chief of Information.//