INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY PROCUREMENT REQUEST APPROVAL PROCESS FISCAL YEAR 2014 GUIDANCE:
RTTUZYUW RUEWMCS0000 3221709-UUUU--RUCRNAD
R 181709Z NOV 13 PSN 384917K32
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC/N2N6//
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N2N6/NOV//
SUBJ/INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY PROCUREMENT REQUEST APPROVAL PROCESS FISCAL YEAR
REF/A/MSG/CNO WASHINGTON DC/021600ZNOV12//
REF/B/LTR/CNO WASHINGTON DC/25OCT11//
REF/C/MSG/COMSPAWARSYSCOM SAN DIEGO CA/012023ZDEC11//
NARR/REF A IS NAVADMIN 327/12. REF B ESTABLISHES SPACE AND NAVAL WARFARE
SYSTEMS COMMAND AS THE DESIGNATED ACTIVITY FOR INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY (IT)
PROCUREMENT APPROVAL AND OVERSIGHT. REF C ESTABLISHES IT ACQUISITION
APPROVAL PROCESS (ITAAP).//
RMKS/1. This NAVADMIN updates ref (a)guidance for the Information Technology
Procurement Request (ITPR) and approval process, effective 1 October 2013.
2. ITAAP ensures effective and efficient expenditure of funding to acquire
IT capabilities, prevent duplicative investments, provide visibility on all
Navy IT related expenditures, and ultimately achieve strategic sourcing for
IT procurement. Procurement actions for IT may not be initiated without an
3. The following IT procurement guidance applies to all IT assets including
hardware, software, maintenance, contract support, and telecommunication
services that are reported in the Program Budget Information System-IT (PBIS-
IT) and resourced with Navy appropriated and non-appropriated funds.
a. The ITPR threshold for fiscal year (FY) 2014 remains at $500K. The
ITAAP governance body will review all ITPRs of $500K or greater and forward
to the Deputy Department of the Navy Chief Information Officer Navy (DDCIO
(N)) for approval. For ITPRs less than $500K, the Echelon II Command
Information Officer (Ech II CIO) retains discretion to set a local approval
threshold amount for assigned Echelon III and below commands.
b. Procurement requests must be submitted electronically via
Navy Information Dominance Approval System (NAV IDAS) for:
(1) Business mission area programs and non-programs of
record software, hardware, maintenance, and support
(2) Fleet/OCONUS Network Centric IT Assets (i.e.,
consolidated afloat network enterprise services
(CANES) and ONE-net);
(3) Cryptologic (UNCLASSIFIED) IT systems;
(4) IT procured using military intelligence program funds;
(5) IT for industrial/base operating support (i.e., heating,
ventilation, air conditioning, perimeter security, and
anti-terrorism force protection);
(6) Ashore excepted network infrastructure assets and
(7) Commercial off the shelf and Government modified off the
(8) Telecommunications, commercially supported handheld
wireless communication devices, and non-tactical radios;
(9) Business IT that supports oversight and program
management operations of Program Executive Office,
Program Manager Warfare, or Program Manager Air; and
Weapon Systems support (i.e., portals, hardware, and
software tools, engineering services, financial
management, installation, and customer support);
(10) Research, Development, Test and Evaluation laboratory
network infrastructure that supports weapon system
replication, trainers, ranges, and simulators; and
(11) Bureau of Medicine and Surgery shipboard IT assets
that support Fleet Force Health Protection operations.
c. Systems Commands acting as Executive Agents for Department of Defense
(DoD) programs using non-Navy budget dollars to procure IT hardware,
software, maintenance, support, or telecommunications in support of other DoD
components or non-DoD agency programs may submit an ITPR for tracking
purposes. Expenditures for such requests will not be reported in the IT
expenditure reporting summary.
4. The following are exempt/not included in this process:
a. Weapons systems not reported in PBIS-IT (e.g., platform or command,
control, computer, communications, intelligence, surveillance, and
b. Expendables (e.g., paper, ink, toner, compact disc, digital video disc
c. Continuity of Services Contract/Next Generation (COSC/NGEN) priced and
un-priced contract line item numbers.
d. IT assets procured with National Intelligence Program funds.
e. IT assets procured using Defense Health Agency funds.
f. Small Business Innovative Research pilots/proofs of concept.
g. Consumable spare parts for computers.
h. Personnel IT training and subscriptions not reported in the
5. NAV IDAS FY 2014 guidance changes posted to the NAV IDAS home page policy
a. Enterprise license agreement waiver forms and ordering instructions.
b. National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA-12) Data Center Waiver forms
in word format.
c. Data center application optimization monthly hardware reuse inventory
d. Multi-functional device waiver forms and ordering instructions.
6. Organizational responsibilities.
a. Ech II CIOs and Budget Submitting Offices: reference and incorporate
revised policy contained in this NAVADMIN into local regulations and standard
b. Ech II CIOs: reset local approval thresholds less than $500K as
7. Point of contact is Mr. Michael Cricchio, OPNAV N2N6BC2 at (571) 256-8510
or email: email@example.com.
8. Released by Vice Admiral Ted N. Branch, OPNAV N2N6.//