NATIONAL INTELLIGENCE UNIVERSITY:
R 101739Z DEC 18
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
PASS TO OFFICE CODES:
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/DEC//
SUBJ/NATIONAL INTELLIGENCE UNIVERSITY//
NARR/REF A IS OPNAVINST 3870.6A, OBLIGATED SERVICE REQUIREMENTS FOR
INFORMATION WARFARE COMMUNITY ENLISTED PERSONNEL TO ATTEND THE NATIONAL
RMKS/1. This NAVADMIN solicits applications from the active-duty enlisted
Information Warfare Community ratings of cryptologic technician, intelligence
specialist and information systems technician for enrollment in National
Intelligence University (NIU) Bachelor of Science in Intelligence, Master of
Science of Strategic Intelligence and Master of Science and Technology
This program aims to prepare personnel for senior positions in the
intelligence community and the broader national security enterprise.
2. Selectees will be assigned to Navy-funded education as full-time students
under permanent change of station orders to Bethesda, MD with an August 2019
start. As full-time students, Sailors will be required to carry a full
academic schedule year-round. Degree requirements should be completed in 12
3. Each degree program has specific eligibility requirements which can be
found on the NIU website at http://ni-u.edu/wp/eligibility- criteria/. All
applicants must hold or be eligible for a Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented
Information (TS/SCI) clearance.
Orders to NIU will not be issued until TS/SCI clearance is finalized.
4. In line with reference (a), Sailors must be eligible to incur a 5-year
active-duty service obligation by reenlistment or extension of enlistment
prior to NIU enrollment. Selectees will be required to reenlist more than 1-
year early if they are unable to satisfy the 5-year obligated service
requirement with an aggregate of 48 or fewer months of extensions. An
extension will become binding upon enrollment at NIU.
5. Upon selection, member must request (via command career counselor) an in-
rate quota in the Career Waypoints (C-WAY) System. Those members not in their
C-WAY window should submit a "special circumstance" application indicating
reason code of "other", and the career counselor will be prompted to add a
note indicating selection to the NIU program. If selected via "special
application, this program does not guarantee awarding of an in-rate C-WAY
quota and is not considered part of an individual's performance indicator in
the C-WAY process.
6. Applicants should contact their detailers immediately to discuss
implications for their current assignments. Detailers must release
applicants for this program. Failure to gain release may result in
withdrawal of selection. Graduation from this program will impact future
7. Selection results will be disseminated by NIU via e-mail.
8. General information about NIU can be found at http://ni-u.edu/wp/about-
9. Points of contact are CDR Bryan Leese at (301) 243-2317 or via e-mail at
email@example.com or ISC Angelica Orange at
(901) 874-4462/DSN 882 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. This message will remain in effect until superseded or 30 June 2019,
whichever occurs first.
11. Released by Vice Admiral R. P. Burke, N1.//