FY16 ENLISTED WOMEN IN SUBMARINES CHIEF PETTY OFFICER CONVERSION:
R 211528Z JAN 15 PSN 506841H24
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
SUBJ/FY16 ENLISTED WOMEN IN SUBMARINES CHIEF PETTY OFFICER CONVERSION//
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/JAN//
REF/A/MSG/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/211425ZJAN15//
NARR/REF A IS NAVADMIN 019/15, OPENING SUBMARINE FORCE BILLETS TO ENLISTED
WOMEN. REF B IS BUMED MANUAL FOR MEDICINE.
RMKS/1. Per reference (a), the Navy*s plan to integrate enlisted women into
the submarine force has been approved, and all submarine ratings and
submarine Navy Enlisted Classification (NEC) codes are open to enlisted
2. The submarine force is seeking high caliber female Chief Petty Officers
(CPOs) from the ratings listed below to apply for submarine service as part
of this initiative. The Submarine Enlisted Community Manager (ECM) is
accepting conversion applications for ranks E-1 through E-8. The application
process for E-6 and below is contained in a separate NAVADMIN (FY16 ENLISTED
WOMEN IN SUBMARINES E-6 AND BELOW RATING CONVERSION PROCESS).
3. In an effort to identify the most qualified Chief Petty Officers (CPOs)
and to ensure the success of this initiative, CPOS will be selected based on
the following attributes:
a. COs endorsement describing the Sailor*s sustained superior
b. Sea service experience.
c. Warfare qualification.
d. Job experience (i.e., assignments that can be related to success
in future submarine service).
4. In addition to sustained superior performance and future potential of the
Sailor, consideration will be given to current overall manning of the
applicant*s rating, time served at the current command, and other factors
that may affect the command or community*s manning.
5. Selected CPOs are expected to report aboard and lead a division with
minimal additional technical and leadership training. The application
process for E-7/8 in the Information Systems Technician (IT) (see note 1
below), Logistics Specialist (LS), Culinary Specialist (CS), Yeoman (YN) (see
note 2 below), and Independent Duty Corpsman is as follows:
a. All conversion CPOs, regardless of rating or rank, must meet
the following minimum criteria to be eligible for conversion:
(1) Must be medically screened and suitable for duty aboard a
submarine per reference (b), MANMED Chapter 15 (to be completed within
30 days following selection).
(2) Must be a US citizen already in possession of, or capable
of receiving, a secret security clearance.
(3) No non-judicial punishments (NJP) or convictions in civilian
or military courts for past 36 months.
(4) No marks less than *3.0* on the last five evaluations.
(5) No PFA failures in the last three years.
Note 1: CPO IT conversions must have one or more of the following NECs:
2780, 2781, or 2791.
Note 2: CPO Personnel Specialists (PS) who have the required experience
to convert to YN submarines may submit applications for consideration.
b. Active duty and Full Time Support (FTS) reserve duty CPOs must
submit conversion packages directly to the submarine non-nuclear ECM (BUPERS-
32D) for processing per para 5 below.
c. Each conversion package must include the following:
(1) Last five performance evaluations.
(2) PRIMS data covering the last four years of PFA
(3) NAVPERS 1306/7 signed by the CPO and the CPOs CO that clearly
states the recommended *earliest and latest release* dates from the current
(4) Official statement volunteering for submarine service as outlined
in MILPERSMAN 1306-402.
(5) COs endorsement.
(6) The applicant may submit (optional) a personal statement
addressing her motivation for assignment to the submarine force.
d. Reserve component Sailors will submit packages per MILPERSMAN 1326-
6. Applications must be scanned and e-mailed to the submarine non-nuclear
ECM. E-mail applications to email@example.com,
firstname.lastname@example.org, and email@example.com.
a. An example package is available on the NPC website at:
b. Applications are due by 15 April 2015, and the selection process will
begin on 16 April 2015.
7. CPOs requesting conversion to submarines will be selected via a selection
panel. Once final selections are made for E-7/8 by the submarine conversion
selection panel, primary and alternate selectees will be notified via naval
message. Alternates will be utilized in the event a selectee is found
ineligible for conversion.
8. This round of selections will apply to the women scheduled to integrate
the first two submarine crews. Subsequent NAVADMINs announcing follow-on
submarine integrations will be periodically released to commence future
application cycles. Opportunities to reapply for assignment in submarines
will be available at least annually.
9. For questions about the application process or about submarine service,
contact the submarine non-nuclear ECM office: LCDR James Drumgole,
901-874-2082; STSCS(SS) Joseph Hanley, 901-874-4367; YNC(SS) Aaron Norton,
10. This message will remain in effect until superseded or canceled,
whichever occurs first.
11. Released by Vice Admiral W. F. Moran.//