INFORMATION DOMINANCE CORPS REDESIGNATED INFORMATION WARFARE COMMUNITY:
R 021815Z FEB 16
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
SUBJ/INFORMATION DOMINANCE CORPS REDESIGNATED INFORMATION WARFARE COMMUNITY//
MSGID/NAVADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N2N6/FEB//
RMKS/1. Effective immediately, the Information Dominance Corps is
redesignated as the Information Warfare Community.
2. This redesignation reflects the rising influence of global information
systems and the increasing rate of technological creation and adoption, as
reflected in the Chief of Naval Operations A Design for Maintaining Maritime
Superiority. This transition also aligns Information Warfare as a
predominant warfare area. The name change highlights three fundamental
capabilities which form the mission of the Information Warfare Community:
providing sufficient overmatch in command and control, understanding the
battlespace and adversaries, and projecting power through and across all
3. OPNAV N2N6, in conjunction with key Fleet stakeholders, is developing a
plan to accomplish the many actions required to reflect the name change (to
include, but not limited to, updating command names and relevant OPNAV
instructions and manuals). Details of this plan will be communicated over
the coming months.
4. Designators and ratings within the new Information Warfare Community will
remain unchanged. However, the community of officers with the 181X/681X/781X
designators will be renamed and communicated via separate correspondence.
5. The OPNAV N2N6 point of contact is CAPT John Lewin at (703) 604-5842/DSN
664 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. Released By Vice Admiral Ted N. Branch, Deputy Chief of Navy Operations
for Information Warfare, N2N6.//