ABSENTEE VOTER REGISTRATION AND 2016 PROGRAM GUIDANCE:
R 071454Z MAR 16
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
SUBJ/ABSENTEE VOTER REGISTRATION AND 2016 PROGRAM GUIDANCE//
MSGID/NAVADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/DNS//
NARR/REF A IS OPNAVINST 1742.1B, NAVY VOTING ASSISTANCE PROGRAM AND REF B IS
DODI 1000.04, FEDERAL VOTING ASSISTANCE PROGRAM.//
RMKS/1. At the beginning of each calendar year, eligible voters who wish to
register to vote absentee should do so by completing the Federal Post Card
Application (FPCA). The FPCA form can easily be completed online at:
2. Another election cycle begins in 2016 with numerous federal, state, and
local elections being held, to include the Presidential Election. Choosing
our leaders through open elections makes democracy unique and is a freedom
that we defend. Everyone is encouraged to exercise their right to vote and
to ensure that their voice is heard.
3. The Navy maintains a robust service-wide Voting Assistance Program that
relies upon leadership support at every level of the chain of command. The
following guidance is provided:
a. Commanders, Commanding Officers, and Officers in Charge:
Every command of 25 or more individuals is required to maintain a voting
assistance program, managed by a command Voting Assistance Officer (VAO).
b. Voting Assistance Officers:
(1) Duties and responsibilities are outlined in references
(a) and (b).
(2) VAOs must establish an account in the Federal Voting Assistance
Program (FVAP) online portal at
https://www.fvap.gov/portal/login/welcome.html and will report assistance
metrics on a quarterly basis via this tool, while maintaining copies of these
metrics for their records. VAOs with voting issues or questions are
encouraged to contact the Navy VAO, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
(3) VAOs must establish a voting distribution list for their command.
It should be in the following format ?email@example.com? and
include all primary and assistant VAOs within that command as well as
(4) Per federal law, all VAOs are required to have their performance
commented on in an official military evaluation report. To satisfy this
requirement, all VAOs must list ?VAO? in the collateral duty block of their
official evaluation or fitness report.
(5) The voting action plan outlines specific guidance to support the
Navy Voting Assistance Program throughout 2016 and can be found at
http://www.fvap.gov/vao/guidance/html. Voters who need assistance with the
absentee voting process should contact their command Voting Assistance
Officer, visit www.fvap.gov, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. My point of contact is LT Kristin Hope at
email@example.com or (202)433-4000.
5. Released by VADM R. L. Thomas, Director, Navy Staff.//