NAVAL RESEARCH WORKING GROUP (NRWG) 17, 17-21 APR 2017, MONTEREY CA:
R 161919Z MAR 17
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/FEB//
SUBJ/NAVAL RESEARCH WORKING GROUP (NRWG) 17, 17-21 APR 2017, MONTEREY CA//
REF/A/DOC/ONR WASHINGTON DC/AUG15//
AMPN/REF A IS THE NAVAL RESEARCH PROGRAM CHARTER.//
POC/CAMARDO, LOUIS/LTCOL/UNIT: NPS/-/TEL: 831-656-2794/
RMKS/1. This message convenes and provides administrative updates for the
execution of the Naval Research Working Group (NRWG) 17 meeting, 17-21 Apr
2017 at the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS), Monterey, CA.
2. Per Ref A, the NRWG meeting will convene aboard NPS in order to address
current and future naval research requirements, integrate NPS faculty into
the total naval R&D capability, and disseminate the knowledge gained from
these research projects to stakeholders.
3. NRWG meeting participants include NPS students, faculty, staff, and
individuals from Navy and Marine Corps agencies who have research or analysis
needs. These agencies are termed topic sponsors.
4. NRWG 17 will be a different format than previous NRWGs. Each topic
sponsor will be assigned a tradeshow booth in the NPS McNitt Ballroom where
they will be able to discuss research opportunities with NPS faculty and
students. There will no longer be a plenary session or revolving panel
sessions where topic sponsors present research topics. Topic sponsors should
enter research topics in the topic portal on the NPS Naval Research Program
(NRP) website no later than 27 Mar 2017 in order to be included in the NRWG
program. The topic portal is located at
https:(slash)(slash)my.nps.edu/nrp/topic-portal. For those without an NPS
login, a CAC card is required to log in. Additionally, each attending topic
sponsor POC may coordinate In-Progress Reviews (IPRs) during NRWG 17 with
faculty and students currently conducting sponsored research projects.
5. Tentative schedule. Travel days will be Monday and Friday, 17 and 21 Apr
5.1. Day One (Tuesday, 18 Apr 2017):
0730-0830 Topic sponsor sync session,
0900-1200 NPS lab tours and IPRs,
1230-1430 Big Ideas Exchange,
1500-1700 Keynote Speakers, 1730-2030 Social and faculty research poster
5.2. Day Two (Wednesday, 19 Apr 2017):
0800-1200 and 1300-1700
5.3. Day Three (Thursday, 20 Apr 2017):
0900-1200 NPS lab tours and IPRs,
1300-1500 Topic sponsor out brief and hotwash,
1500-1700 No-host social in the Trident Room.
6. The NRWG will result in the development of Initial Research Estimate Forms
(IREFs). These forms will be forwarded to the Navy Topic Review Board (TRB)
for vetting and validation. The TRB will be coordinated via separate
7. The NRWG end state includes IREFs addressing topic sponsor research needs,
active relationships between topic sponsors and NPS faculty, investment in
the intellectual capital of NPS students, and stakeholders prepared to
execute service-relevant research once approved by the TRB.
8. Registration. All attendees should register for the NRWG at
https:(slash)(slash)my.nps.edu/nrp/nrwg-17 under the register tab. Indicate
if you are a topic sponsor who would like a booth.
9. The uniform for the NRWG will be khakis (or equivalent) for military and
business casual for civilians.
10. Visit requests. Although the NRWG meeting will be conducted at the
unclassified level, there may be a requirement for discussion of classified
material. If applicable, please submit visit requests for “NRWG 17” via the
Joint Personnel Adjudication System (JPAS). Sensitive Compartmented
Information (SCI) clearances should be submitted under SMO Code 622713;
collateral clearances should be submitted under SMO Code 622715. Ensure the
request lists LtCol Camardo as the technical POC. Please contact the NPS
security office at 831-656-3448 to verify receipt.
11.1. Due to ongoing renovation of the Navy Gateway Inns and Suites (NGIS),
there is very limited on-campus billeting that will be arranged by the NRP.
A block of rooms has been reserved for the Naval Research Working Group at
Herrmann Hall. However, in order to access that block of rooms, please notify
LtCol Camardo at firstname.lastname@example.org or 831-656-2794 of your intent. You will
be provided a confirmation number which you will use when contacting NGIS at
Herrmann Hall. This will guarantee your room as part of the NRWG block of
rooms. NGIS will not honor requests for the NRWG block of rooms unless they
come from the NRP.
11.2. There is also a block of rooms reserved for NRWG participants at the
nearby Navy Lodge, which can be reached at 831-372-6133. When contacting the
Navy Lodge, provide the following NRWG Group ID number: 61080122655.
12. Travel, billeting costs, and other arrangements associated with this
meeting will be the individual unit?s responsibility.
13. DTS will identify the 2017 max per diem rate for Monterey, CA, 93943.
14. Transportation. Attendees are responsible for their own transportation.
Rental car is authorized.
15. Wireless access is available throughout the NPS campus. SIPR access is
available in the NPS Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility (SCIF) or
Dudley Knox Library.
16. Storage. The SCIF can accommodate storage of classified material up to
and including top secret.
17. Conference exemption. This working group has been designated a Title 10
function and is therefore conference exempt. Further, it has been formally
vetted and meets exemption 4B in Section IV of DoD Conference Guidance dtd 06
Nov 2013, as an internal agency business matter.
18. Mission critical travel. Although sponsor attendance is highly
encouraged, mission criticality for NRWG attendance will be established by
the individual traveler’s command.
19. Released by Rear Admiral M. C. Manazir, N9.//