BATTLE OF MIDWAY COMMEMORATION PLANNING ORDER 2021:
R 141727Z MAY 21 MID200000857985U
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
PASS TO OFFICE CODES:
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//DNS//
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//DNS//
MSGID/NAVADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/DNS/MAY//
SUBJ/BATTLE OF MIDWAY COMMEMORATION PLANNING ORDER 2021//
AMPN/REF A IS THE OPNAVINST 5726.8B OUTREACH: AMERICA'S NAVY//
RMKS/1. June 2021 will mark the 79th anniversary of the Navy's and the
Nation's most historically significant naval victory. The Battle of Midway
(BOM) occurred 3-7 June 1942 and changed the tide of war in the Pacific and
the course of world history. This order provides initial guidance and tasks
for the execution and planning of this important, global commemoration.
2. In support of reference (a), execute a commemorative event commensurate
with the importance of the BOM for our Navy and Nation.
3. Commander's Intent:
a. Purpose: Serve as a celebration of our Navy's greatest victories.
Specifically, the commemoration will:
(1) Engage the American public on how the Navy has been and remains
critical to our nation's defense.
(2) Inspire the current generation of Sailors to trace their roots to
those who fought in this great battle. Highlight the toughness, initiative,
accountability, and integrity of American Sailors and Navy civilians who
contributed to success at Midway and throughout World War II.
(3) Draw parallels between today?s forward deployed naval forces and
the historical lessons of the battle in order to cultivate an appreciation
for our shared history and a better understanding of where our Navy is headed
today and into the future.
b. Method: Command-centered execution of a coordinated Navy-wide BOM
(1) Use available Navy outreach assets to maximum extent possible.
(2) Be guided by, and supportive of, the Navy's strategic messaging.
c. End State: The BOM commemoration becomes an institutionalized
community outreach and a Navy pride event for all Sailors, observed globally.
a. Director, Navy Staff (DNS) will oversee planning and program
development for the annual BOM commemoration.
b. Naval History and Heritage Command (NHHC) will:
(1) Coordinate and support the execution of Midway commemoration
events to include the execution of a Navy-wide observance and supporting
fleet BOM -related community outreach events.
(2) Establish a Working Group (WG) of key stakeholders to oversee
planning and program development for the BOM commemoration.
(a) Director, NHHC will serve as chairman of the BOM WG.
(b) Track Navy-wide commemoration plans as they develop and
coordinate with BOM WG members to identify and share available resources for
the global execution of the BOM commemoration.
(3) Develop a commemoration toolkit for use by Commander, U.S. Fleet
Forces Command (COMUSFLTFORCOM), Commander, U.S. Pacific Fleet (COMPACFLT),
Commander, Navy Installations (CNIC), Regional Commanders, Commanding
Officers (COs), and Officers in Charge (OIC).
(a) Develop and make available a body of lessons learned at the
tactical, operational, and strategic levels from previous BOM commemorations.
(b) Post all documents and associated points of contact on the
NHHC website (https://www.history.navy.mil) NLT 13 May 2021.
(4) Develop a BOM 79th Anniversary Communication Plan, including
public affairs guidance, and provide to Chief of Naval Information (CHINFO)
for dissemination to the fleet by 13 May 2021.
(5) Draft BOM Navy Execute Order (EXORD) for release as NAVADMIN by
Message to be released NLT 10 May 2021.
(6) Compile Midway lessons learned and after action from other stakeholders
and provide to DNS NLT 17 July 2021.
c. COMUSFLTFORCOM; COMPACFLT; CNIC; Commander, Navy Reserve Force
Command (COMNAVRESFORCOM); Commander, Naval Education and Training Command;
and Commander, Naval Recruiting Command will:
(1) Provide representatives as necessary to support the BOM WG.
(2) Ensure COs and OICs plan for and commemorate the 79th anniversary
of the BOM.
(3) Execute the BOM 79th Anniversary Communication Plan, disseminated
by the Chief of Naval Information (CHINFO), and participate in planned
community outreach activities as operationally feasible.
(4) Provide BOM lessons learned to NHHC NLT 22 June 2021.
(5) Report all commemorative events to NHHC Communication and
Outreach Division NLT 15 June 2021.
d. CHINFO will:
(1) Provide representatives to the BOM WG.
(2) Disseminate the BOM 79th Anniversary Communication Plan to ashore
and afloat commands by 13 May 2021. This plan should include Navy's
strategic messaging and talking points for the commemoration.
(3) Provide Midway lessons learned to NHHC NLT 22 June 2021.
e. Naval District Washington (NDW) will host a Battle of Midway
Commemoration ceremony at 1000 (EST), Thursday, 4 June 2021, to enable local
events to commemorate simultaneously across the nation during daylight hours.
5. Coordinating Instructions: Additional coordination instructions and
tasking to be provided by separate correspondence (SEPCOR) as plans develop.
a. The Midway toolkit will be available at the NHHC website
(https://www.history.navy.mil/midway) NLT 13 May 2021. Content will be added
to the toolkit as it becomes available, with all supporting elements complete
and posted no later than 20 May 2021.
b. Public Affairs Guidance:
(1) This is an active public affairs posture event.
(2) Public affairs guidance will be provided SEPCOR.
7. Point of contact. NHHC POC, Mr. Dale Eng, Comm (202)433-7880
8. Released by Mr. Andrew S. Haeuptle, Director, Navy Staff.//