ESTABLISHMENT OF THE CYBER WARFARE TECHNICIAN (CWT) RATING:
R 291512Z JUN 23 MID120000265852U
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
PASS TO OFFICE CODES:
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/JUN//
SUBJ/ESTABLISHMENT OF THE CYBER WARFARE TECHNICIAN (CWT) RATING//
AMPN/REF A IS NAVPERS 18068, NEOCS MANUAL//
RMKS/1. This NAVADMIN announces the establishment of the Cyber Warfare
Technician (CWT) rating and the disestablishment of the Cryptologic
Technician-Networks (CTN) rating. The CWT rating will incorporate all
members of the CTN rating in the short term and then evolve from there.
2. The CWT rating will utilize the former CTN Rating Control Number (RCN) of
1677 and the following information applies:
a. The personnel and billets to receive the new rating will be CTNs
serving in an Enlisted Manning Code (EMC) of B525 and RCN of 1677. This will
effectively change all existing CTN billets and personnel to the new rating.
b. The following NECs will carry over to the personnel and billets that
were converted to the new rating: H07A, H11A, H12A,
H13A, H14A, H15A, H16A, H29A, H30A, H31A, H32A, H34A, H41A, H42A,
703C, 702C, 708A, 732A, 771B, 785B, 785C, 785D, and 785K.
3. In line with reference (a), the CWT rating will retain all Occupational
Standards (OCCSTDs) listed under the CTN service rating. This establishment
will remove formal associations with the remaining Cryptologic Technician
fields and highlight the Navy's ability to conduct military operations in and
The CWT rating will apply to both Active Duty and Selected Reserve
(SELRES) Sailors and associated billets.
4. The establishment of the new rating became effective on 28 June
2023. All CTN billets and personnel will be changed to CWT on this
date. All CTNs will be required to change their rating badge to the new CWT
rating badge within twelve months of release of this message. All rating
specific incentive pays currently offered to CTN Sailors will be offered to
CWT personnel (e.g. SDAP, SRB, etc).
5. The advancement exam will be changed from CTN to CWT. All advancement
requirements for CTN remain in effect for CWT.
6. There will be no changes to the E7/8/9 evaluation and selection board
processes. Selection boards will utilize the CTN Enlisted Career Path (ECP)
in the absence of updated CWT ECP. Current policies exercised will continue
7. As with the CTN rating, the CWT Enlisted Career Path (ECP) will not be
defined by a Sea/Shore flow. Current policies exercised will continue
8. This NAVADMIN does not implement any changes for Commander, Navy
Recruiting Command. Current business rules, quotas, and incentives exercised
for CTN will apply for CWT.
9. This NAVADMIN does not modify any previous guidance concerning Early
Separation, Fleet Reserve, Conversion Packages, or Career Waypoints requests.
10. The primary points of contact are:
a. Enlisted Community Manager (ECM), LCDR Andy Thaxton,
Information Warfare Enlisted Community Manager (BUPERS-327),
(901) 874-3492, firstname.lastname@example.org;
b. Rating Technical Advisor (TECHAD), CTNCM Jeremy Stahl,
(901) 874-2967, email@example.com; and
c. Type Commander (TYCOM) Rating Lead, CTNCM Christopher Fisher
(757) 203-3312, firstname.lastname@example.org.
11. Released by Vice Admiral Richard J. Cheeseman, Jr., N1.//