MERGER OF RESERVE COMPONENT SURFACE ORDNANCE LIMITED DUTY AND CHIEF WARRANT OFFICER DESIGNATORS INTO SURFACE ELECTRONICS DESIGNATORS:
R 131744Z AUG 21 MID600050876861U
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
PASS TO OFFICE CODES:
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/AUG//
SUBJ/MERGER OF RESERVE COMPONENT SURFACE ORDNANCE LIMITED DUTY AND CHIEF
WARRANT OFFICER DESIGNATORS INTO SURFACE ELECTRONICS DESIGNATORS//
NARR/REF A IS OPNAVINST 1420.1B, ENLISTED TO OFFICER COMMISSIONING PROGRAMS
APPLICATION ADMINISTRATIVE MANUAL.
REF B IS OPNAVINST 1120.12A, APPOINTMENT OF LIMITED DUTY OFFICERS AND CHIEF
WARRANT OFFICERS IN THE NAVY RESERVE.//
RMKS/1. This NAVADMIN announces the merger of Reserve component surface
ordnance Limited Duty Officers (LDO) and Chief Warrant Officers (CWO),
designators 616X/716X, into the surface electronics LDO and CWO designators
618X/718X and announces updates to references (a) and (b).
2. A growing surface Fleet requires a pool of highly-skilled Reserve combat
systems/weapons subject matter experts to meet the technical requirements of
the future. Merger of these designators and similar skillsets will result in
a more robust and flexible personnel inventory.
3. The implementation process will consist of two phases.
a. Phase I will begin immediately with the conversion of all Reserve
616X/716X billets to 618X/718X.
b. Phase II will begin approximately one month from the date of billet
conversion and will re-designate all Reserve officers.
(1) Current officers will be re-designated from
6165/7168 to 6185/7188.
(2) Applicants that have submitted applications to the Fiscal Year
(FY) 2023, (FY-23) Reserve LDO/CWO In-Service Procurement Board (ISPB) will
be considered for selection to the 716X or 718X designator as applicable.
Announcement results and commissioning documents will reflect 718X.
Designators 616X and 618X are not being considered on the FY-23 Reserve ISPB.
4. No administrative action is required by individual officers.
5. Surface Ordnance CWOs (7168) will continue to wear current designator
device on the collar, sleeve and shoulder boards until promoted to their next
6. Point of contact is Reserve Officer Community Manager, CDR Heidi Cochran,
at (901)874-3482/DSN 882, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Released by Vice Admiral John B. Nowell, Jr, N1.//