2017 VICE ADMIRAL JAMES BOND STOCKDALE LEADERSHIP AWARD WINNERS:
R 311430Z AUG 17
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
PASS TO OFFICE CODES:
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/AUG//
SUBJ/2017 VICE ADMIRAL JAMES BOND STOCKDALE LEADERSHIP AWARD WINNERS//
RMKS/1. This NAVADMIN announces the 2017 recipients of the Vice Admiral
James Bond Stockdale Leadership Award. Commander Brian M. Drechsler, former
Commanding Officer of SEAL Team FIVE (Pacific Fleet) and Commander Eric M.
Sager, former Commanding Officer of USS CALIFORNIA (SSN 781) (U. S. Fleet
Forces) were selected for their inspirational leadership.
2. This fleet award was established in honor of VADM James Bond Stockdale,
whose distinguished naval career symbolized the highest standards of
excellence in both personal example and leadership. The award is presented
annually to two commissioned officers on active duty in the grade of
commander or below who are serving in command of a single ship, submarine,
aviation squadron, Sea, Air, Land (SEAL) team, naval special warfare
squadron, SEAL delivery vehicle team, special boat team, explosive ordnance
disposal mobile unit, mobile diving and salvage unit, or Navy special
clearance team during the nomination cycle. Candidates are nominated by
peers who themselves must be eligible for the award.
3. The 2017 winners were chosen from among nine outstanding finalists in a
review process that included screening at the fleet commander level and final
selection by a board of senior officers.
4. The following finalists deserve well-earned congratulations:
a. Pacific Fleet finalists:
- CDR Gilbert Ayan, Commanding Officer, USS MILIUS (DDG 69)
- CDR Eric J. Rozek, Commanding Officer, USS MISSISSIPPI
- CDR Joseph W. Cortopassi, former Commanding Officer,
Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron TWELVE (HSC-14)
- CDR Geoffrey W. Townsend, Commanding Officer, Explosive
Ordnance Disposal Mobile Unit THREE (EODMU-3)
b. U.S. Fleet Forces finalists:
- CDR Steven L. Liberty, Commanding Officer, USS RAMAGE
- CDR Donald G. Wetherbee, former Commanding Officer,
SEAL Team Four
- CDR Shane T. Marchesi, Commanding Officer, Strike Fighter
Squadron EIGHT SEVEN (VFA-87)
5. CDR Brian M. Drechsler and CDR Eric M. Sager, as well as all nominees,
should be justifiably proud of their achievements.
6. Awards will be presented at a ceremony to be determined at a later date.
7. This NAVADMIN will be kept for record purposes, and will remain in effect
until canceled or superseded.
8. Released by Vice Admiral R. P. Burke, N1.//