FY-17 UNITED STATES NAVAL ACADEMY LEADERSHIP EDUCATION AND DEVELOPMENT MASTERS PROGRAM:
R 261443Z SEP 16
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
PASS TO OFFICE CODES:
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/SEP//
SUBJ/FY-17 UNITED STATES NAVAL ACADEMY LEADERSHIP EDUCATION AND DEVELOPMENT
RMKS/1. This NAVADMIN announces application procedures for the
FY-17 Leadership Education and Development (LEAD) masters program.
The United States Naval Academy (USNA) is seeking motivated, academically and
professionally qualified unrestricted line officers for the FY-17 LEAD
Masters program. Selected officers will serve as both company officers and
role models for our future Naval officers. The USNA company officer masters
program is a unique opportunity for junior LEAD officers to participate in a
36-month graduate education and leadership experience. The program combines
a fully-funded masters program in leadership education and development from a
top-tier DC/Baltimore area university with a required two-year follow-on
commitment as a company officer at USNA.
Previous cohorts have studied at the University of Maryland College Park and
The George Washington University. Officers attend classes at the university
and within the Naval Academy at Luce Hall.
2. Additional information can be found on the USNA website at
3. Community specific eligible year groups (YG) and additional eligibility
(1) Eligible YG: YG12-14 surface warfare qualified officers who have
demonstrated superior performance and upward career mobility, and are able to
execute a 36-month tour of shore duty.
Officers should complete the 36-month program in time to begin department
head school by the 7.5 year of commissioned service.
Eligible officers will compete in a Surface Warfare Officer Assignment (PERS-
41) held Talent Management board; board specifics will be announced via
separate correspondence. Contact PERS-41 junior officer detailers for
(2) Department head retention bonus contract must be submitted
immediately upon selection for the LEAD Program.
Department head school attendance and successful completion of two department
head tours as defined by PERS-41 is required following completion of USNA
(1) Eligible YG: YG12
(2) PERS-42 will review all applications and recommend for selection
top performing officers who can meet Submarine Officers Advanced Course
(SOAC) gate at 7.5 years of commissioned service.
SOAC attendance and completion of a department head tour is required
following completion of USNA assignment.
(1) Eligible YG: YG10-12 (eligible for first shore tour)
(2) Satisfactory PERS-43 evaluation
4. Interested officers must:
a. Complete an application and forward to cognizant detailer.
A sample can be found at http://www.usna.edu/LEAD/Lead-Masters-
Program/LEAD-Program-Application.php. The application package must
(1) Completed application page (PDF fillable version found at the
(2) Official photo (taken within the past twelve months).
(3) Personal statement that specifically addresses the reason for the
application to the LEAD program, how the program fits into your career goals
and your expectations with respect to the program.
(4) Biography (following the format provided at the website above).
(5) All higher education transcripts.
(6) Copy of Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores taken within the
last five years (or statement explaining why you are unable to take the GRE
such as deployment or operational commitments).
(7) Chain of command endorsement (required).
(8) Additional professional and academic letters of recommendation
(desired, not required).
b. Provide additional original transcripts from all college and/or
graduate education sent to, LEAD Masters Program Manager 112 Cooper Road Mail
Stop 7-C Annapolis, Maryland 21402-1305. This is in addition to the
transcripts required for the application.
c. Communicate intentions to apply for this program to the cognizant
detailer to ensure adequate career timing. All applications will be vetted
through detailers to verify career timing impact.
a. Surface Warfare Officers refer to your communitys detailer for
b. 24 October 2016: application deadline to submarine or aviation
c. 31 October 2016: nominees forwarded to USNA for selection/ approval.
d. 12 December 2016: USNA final selections made and forwarded to PERS-
e. 19 December 2016: no later than date for applicants informed of
f. 1 May 2017: report date for selected individuals. Classes will
begin mid-May 2017.
6. Points of contact: LT Galo Cavalcanti at
(901) 874-3616/DSN 882, fax at (901) 874-2676, or via e-mail at
email@example.com and LCDR Alex Dietrich at
(410) 293-6029/DSN 281 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Released by Vice Admiral R. P. Burke, N1.//