RE-ESTABLISH TORPEDOMANS MATE (TM) GENERAL RATING TO REPLACE MACHINISTS MATE, NON-NUCLEAR, WEAPONS (SUBMARINE) (MMW) SERVICE RATING (CORRECTED COPY).:
R 301657Z SEP 19 MID510000646019U
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
NAVADMIN 225/19 //
PASS TO OFFICE CODES:
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/SEP//
AMPN/REF A IS NAVPERS 18068F, NAVY ENLISTED OCCUPATIONAL STANDARDS MANUAL.//
SUBJ/RE-ESTABLISH TORPEDOMANS MATE (TM) GENERAL RATING TO REPLACE MACHINISTS MATE,
NON-NUCLEAR, WEAPONS (SUBMARINE) (MMW) SERVICE RATING (CORRECTED COPY).//
RMKS/1. This NAVADMIN announces the re-establishment of the Torpedomans Mate (TM) general
rating with a Rating Control Number
(RCN) of 0500. This re-establishment is primarily administrative in nature and is expected to have
minimal impact on the Fleet.
Ultimately, the TM general rating will replace the Machinists Mate, Non-Nuclear, Weapons (Submarines)
(MMW) service rating in all aspects and apply to active-duty, full-time support and selected reserve
Sailors and billets.
2. Re-establishing the TM general rating is in direct support of Sailor 2025 and Rating Modernization
initiatives to continue to empower Sailors and expand professional development opportunities.
Sailor 2025 focuses on improving the ability of our Navy to develop, reward and retain the force of
tomorrow. By re-establishing the TM general rating, the Navy is responding directly to feedback from
the Fleet, enabling ownership and pride by the Sailors in the rating and strengthening their role in a
strong, unified future submarine force.
3. The re-establishment of the TM general rating will take effect on 1 October 2019. The following
information identifies to whom the new general rating will be applied:
a. The primary personnel and billets to receive the new general rating will be MMWs serving as
enlisted master code (EMC) C151 with a subspecialty in weapons.
b. EMC C151 delineates MMW personnel with a designator code of 1, 2 or 8 and Navy enlisted
classification codes of either Q33A, 717B, 718B, 737B, 738B, 756A, 774B, 782B, or 789A. Sailors within
these criteria will be converted to the TM general rating.
4. Sailors serving in the MMW service rating will be referred to as a TM. The re-establishment of the
TM general rating will not require a change of uniform, but will require an updated rating badge.
5. There will not be a change to the Navy-wide advancement exam policies and there will not be a
change to the administration schedule of examinations. However, due to the exam development, exam
ordering and shipping schedules, TM candidates may be taking MMW exams but the advancement
authorized rating will be TM.
6. There will not be changes to the E-7 to E-9 evaluation and selection board processes. However, TM
candidates may be taking MMW exams, but the advancement authorized rating will be TM. The first
Navy-Wide Advancement Examinations for the TM rating will be administered as follows:
a. E4/5/6 Active Duty cycle - September 2020
b. E4/5/6 SELRES cycle - February 2021
c. E7 Active Duty cycle - January 2021
d. E7 SELRES cycle - February 2021
7. There will be no changes to sea/shore flow.
8. This NAVADMIN does not implement any changes for Commander, Navy Recruiting Command
9. This NAVADMIN does not modify any previous guidance concerning early separation, Fleet Reserve,
conversion packages or career waypoints re-enlistment requests.
10. The primary points of contact regarding this general rating and RCN re-establishment are as follows:
a. Submarine, Non-Nuclear, Enlisted Community Manager: CDR Jared C. Smith at (901) 874-
2082/DSN 882 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
b. Submarine Ratings Technical Advisor: ETRCS(SS) Jimmy R.
Long at (901) 874-2819/DSN 882 or via e-mail at email@example.com
11. Released by VADM John B. Nowell, Jr, N1.//