2020 VICE ADMIRAL JAMES BOND STOCKDALE LEADERSHIP AWARD WINNERS:
R 012338Z SEP 20 MID510001690880U
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
PASS TO OFFICE CODES:
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/SEP//
SUBJ/2020 VICE ADMIRAL JAMES BOND STOCKDALE LEADERSHIP AWARD WINNERS//
RMKS/1. This NAVADMIN announces the 2020 recipients of the Vice Admiral
James Bond Stockdale Leadership Award. Commander William H. Wiley,
Commanding Officer of USS JOHN WARNER (SSN 785) (U.S. Fleet Forces) and
Commander Bradley D. Geary, former Commanding Officer of SEAL VEHICLE
DELIVERY TEAM ONE (SVDT 1) (U.S. Pacific Fleet) were selected for their
2. This fleet award was established in honor of VADM James Bond Stockdale,
whose distinguished naval career symbolized the highest standards of
excellence in both personal example and leadership. The award is presented
annually to two commissioned officers on active duty in the grade of
commander or below who are serving in command of a single ship, submarine,
aviation squadron, Sea, Air, Land (SEAL) team, naval special warfare
squadron, SEAL delivery vehicle team, special boat team, explosive ordnance
disposal mobile unit, mobile diving and salvage unit or Navy special
clearance team during the nomination cycle. Candidates are nominated by
peers who themselves must be eligible for the award.
3. The 2020 winners were chosen from among nine outstanding finalists in a
review process that included screening at the fleet commander level and final
selection by a board of senior officers.
4. The following finalists deserve well-earned congratulations:
a. U.S. Pacific Fleet finalists:
(1) CDR Christian R. Nesset, Commanding Officer, ELECTRONIC ATTACK
SQUADRON ONE THREE FOUR (VAQ 134).
(2) CDR Patrick J. Sullivan, Commanding Officer, USS MCCAMPBELL
(3) CDR Charles C. Litton, Commanding Officer, USS CHICAGO
b. U.S. Fleet Forces finalists:
(1) CDR John S. Lucas, former Commanding Officer, USS BULKELEY
(2) CDR Craig M. Trent, Commanding Officer, USS PORTER (DDG 78).
(3) CDR Judson Mallory, Commanding Officer, USS LASSEN (DDG 82).
(4) CDR Jean M. Sullivan, Commanding Officer, USS WHIDBEY ISLAND
5. CDR William Wiley and CDR Bradley Geary, as well as all nominees, should
be justifiably proud of their achievements.
6. Awards will be presented at a ceremony to be determined at a later date.
7. This NAVADMIN will be kept for record purposes, and will remain in effect
until canceled or superseded.
8. Released by Vice Admiral John. B. Nowell, Jr, N1.//