FY-14 UNITED STATES NAVAL ACADEMY LEADERSHIP EDUCATION AND DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM:
RTTUZYUW RUEWMCS0000 2682153-UUUU--RUCRNAD
R 252153Z SEP 13
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/SEP//
SUBJ/FY-14 UNITED STATES NAVAL ACADEMY LEADERSHIP EDUCATION AND DEVELOPMENT
RMKS/1. This NAVADMIN announces application procedures for the FY-14
Leadership Education and Development (LEAD) program. The United States Naval
Academy (USNA) is seeking applications from motivated, academically and
professionally qualified unrestricted line officers for the FY-14 LEAD
program. Selected officers will serve as both company officers and role
models for our future naval officers. The USNA company officers masters
program is a unique opportunity for junior officers to participate in a 36-
month graduate education and leadership experience. The program combines a
fully-funded masters program in leadership, education, and development from a
greater Baltimore-Washington, DC metropolitan area university with the
opportunity to serve as a company officer for two years at USNA. Officers
attend classes at the university and within the Naval Academy at Luce Hall.
2. Additional information can be found on the USNA website at
3. Community specific eligible year groups (YG) and additional eligibility
(1) Eligible YG: YG10
(2) PERS-42 will review all applications and recommend for selection
top performing officers who can meet Submarine Officers Advanced Course
(SOAC) gate at seven years of commissioned service.
SOAC attendance and completion of a department head tour is required
following completion of USNA assignment.
(1) Eligible YG: YG10-11 surface warfare qualified officers who have
demonstrated superior performance, upward career mobility, and are able to
execute a 36-month (minimum) tour of shore duty.
Officers should complete the 36-month program in time to begin department
head school by the 7.5 year point of their careers.
Eligible officers will compete in a PERS-41 held selection board for
available quotas; board specifics will be announced via separate
correspondence. Contact PERS-41 junior officer detailers for details.
(2) Revised junior critical skills retention bonus contract must be
submitted immediately upon selection for the LEAD Program.
Department head school attendance and successful completion of two department
head tours as defined by PERS-41 is required following completion of USNA
(1) Eligible YG: YG08-09 (eligible for first shore tour).
(2) Satisfactory PERS-43 evaluation
d. Explosive Ordnance Disposal:
(1) Eligible YG: YG08-09
(2) Satisfactory PERS-416 evaluation 4. Interested officers must:
a. Complete an application and forward to your cognizant detailer.
A sample letter can be found at
http://www.usna.edu/lead/lead%20masters%20program.php. The application
package must include:
(1) Completed application page (PDF fillable version found at the
(2) Official photo (taken within the past twelve months).
(3) Personal statement that specifically addresses the reason for the
application to the LEAD Program, how the program fits into your career goals
and your expectations with respect to the program.
(4) Biography (following the format provided at the website above).
(5) All higher education transcripts.
(6) Chain of command endorsement (required).
(7) Additional letters of recommendation (desired, not required).
b. Provide additional original transcripts from all college and/or
graduate education sent to, LEAD Program Director 112 Cooper Road Annapolis,
Maryland 21402-1305. This is in addition to the transcripts required for the
c. Communicate intentions to apply for this program to the cognizant
detailer to ensure adequate career timing. All applications will be vetted
through detailers to verify career timing impact.
a. 12 November 2013: Application deadline for Surface Warfare Officers,
to compete in PERS-41 USNA LEAD board. Contact PERS-41 for application
b. 6 December 2013: Notify Aviation/Submarine/EOD community detailer of
your desire to participate in LEAD Program.
c. 10 January 2014: Nominees forwarded to USNA for selection/ approval.
d. 24 February 2014: USNA final selections made and forwarded to PERS-
e. 28 February 2014: NLT date for notification of selection/non
f. 12 May 2014: NLT report date for selected individuals.
6. Points of contact: LT Mark Jenkins at (901) 874-3616/DSN 882, fax, (901)
874-2676, or via e-mail at email@example.com and LtCol Carroll
Connelley at (410) 293-6022 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Released by Vice Admiral W. F. Moran, N1.//