MERGER OF ACTIVE COMPONENT SURFACE ORDNANCE LIMITED DUTY AND CHIEF WARRANT OFFICER DESIGNATORS INTO SURFACE ELECTRONICS DESIGNATORS:
R 091731Z DEC 19 MID510000792065U
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
PASS TO OFFICE CODES:
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/DEC//
SUBJ/MERGER OF ACTIVE COMPONENT SURFACE ORDNANCE LIMITED DUTY AND CHIEF
WARRANT OFFICER DESIGNATORS INTO SURFACE ELECTRONICS DESIGNATORS//
AMPN/REF A IS OPNAVINST 1420.1B, ENLISTED TO OFFICER COMMISSIONING PROGRAMS
APPLICATION ADMINISTRATIVE MANUAL.//
RMKS/1. This NAVADMIN announces the merger of active component surface
ordnance limited duty officers (LDO) and chief warrant officers (CWO)
designators 616X/716X, into the surface electronics LDO and CWO designators
618X/718X and announces updates to reference (a).
2. Sailor 2025 focuses on improving the ability of our Navy to develop,
reward and retain the force of tomorrow. With this merger of two related
designator groups, the Navy will have a larger pool of highly skilled combat
systems/weapons subject matter experts to match against surface fleet billet
3. The implementation process will consist of two phases.
a. Phase I will begin immediately with the conversion of all 616X/716X
billets to 618X/718X.
b. Phase II will begin approximately 1 month from the date of billet
conversion and will re-designate all officers.
(1) Current officers will be re-designated from 616X/716X to
(2) Applicants who have submitted applications to the Fiscal Year
2021 LDO/CWO In-Service Procurement Board will be considered for selection to
the 616X/618X or 716X/718X designators as applicable. Announcement results
and commissioning documents will reflect 618X/718X.
4. No administrative action is required by individual officers.
5. Surface Ordnance CWOs (716X) will continue to wear current designator
device on the collar, sleeve, and shoulder boards until promoted to their
next higher paygrade.
6. A list of frequently asked questions is located via MyNavy Portal at
7. Point of contact is LDO/CWO Community Manager, CAPT Edward L.
Callahan at (901) 874-3042/DSN 882, or e-mail at
8. Released by Vice Admiral John B. Nowell, Jr, N1.//